Subject: Re: [Leica] Second Thoughts on a Leica Second Body
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 15:08:57 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/03 10:25:37 AM, buzz.hausner@verizon.net writes:

<< As much as you LIKED the CL, you'll LOVE the CLE.  Nonetheless, see the
archives.  Many people really do like and admire these cameras.  For
many reasons I will not repeat on-list, I think they're hideous.  I
know, I know, except for the 40mm Summicron, a truly admirable lens.

    Buzz Hausner >>
- -------------------------------
Buzz,

The CLE has an electronic shutter and a more conventional format. The CL is
pure Leica. It belongs to the M5 generation of Leicas. Mechanical to the core
with a sensitive inboard advisory meter, the CL must be used with the lenses
designed for it to fully exploit its advantages. Unless you've worked
consistently with the CL you won't appreciate it. At first it seems that the strap lugs
are in the wrong place. That the back has an extra guide that gets in the way
of loading film. The shutter speed dial is vertically mounted. You ask
yourself, what do I need this for? The answer comes later. What you really are seeing
in the CL is precision carried to an extreme.
And a Leica photographer is expected to live with that precision. It
separates him from everyone else out there.
But the images the CL makes are those of a money camera.

So the CL isn't rebarbative. It expects a lot from you. Once you get the
message, you won't part with a CL and its two splendid lenses that are integral to
its system.

br

Replies: Reply from frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Second Thoughts on a Leica Second Body)