Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures and stuff
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 06:47:08 -0700

Larry Z. said:
>>> I bought a copy of your Osler book. Fantastic pictures. You are to be
> congratulated for a superb job.<<<

Thank you kind sir. :-) Very much appreciated. Save some money for next year
as the "Women in Medicine" book in publisher production will knock your
socks off!:-)

> I'm also glad to see that at least someone admits practicing to get sports
> timing right. I have long since retired but years ago I used to take
pictures of
> the New York Cosmos soccer games. I readily admit that I wasted yards of
film
> shooting practices to get the timing and knowledge of individual player's
> styles to be ready for the Sunday events. It don't come easy.<<<

Sometimes I make it sound too easy, but if it weren't for a great deal of
"practice" years ago and real-time assignment experience I'd never have
developed the right finger tip twitch. And like folks say, "practice makes
perfect" it also applies to photography. Which many young guys and gals
don't understand, nor do they even think about due to the many
"auto-features " in the magic black box these days.

> But I disagree with you on the value of lab tests.<<<

Yeah I know I beat that lab stuff down pretty hard and I understand only to
well that without "lab testing results" we wouldn't have the athletes and
many other things of today.

>If you are as old as I am you will remember that in the 50s the running
time for the
> mile was over 4 minutes until Roger Bannister, a physician, using the
result of
> physiological tests on himself, ran the first sub 4 minute mile. <<<

Well I'm in my 75th year and yes I remember the Roger Bannister race well.
:-)

Sounds like your the kind of guy whose hand I'd like to shake and share a
beer with some day. :-)  Who knows, we can also do a Leica stacking event.
:-)
ted