Subject: [Leica] RE: "lag time" and the real world.
From: David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:33:01 -0700

Phong wrote:

>Speaking of lightning photography, I was travelling and my
>flight was delayed by a thunderstorm.  I took the opportunity
>to test my own lag time by trying to capture lightning.  I
>can attest to the difficulty. My meager result:
>http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/Misc/crw_5792.htm
>[Canon DSLR, 28mm, 1/90 sec, f4.5, ISO 400]

Phong:

Considering it was daylight, you did very well.

That's the whole point of a "lightning trigger".  It measures the flash and
reacts.  However, because of the flash is so short, it's tough for a human
to react in time.. and if the camera has significant lag-time, you miss the
shot, no matter how fast you are.

By putting the sensor for the 'trigger' in the eyepiece of the camera, it
will not react to lightning outside the field of view, and so your
percentage of 'keepers' goes way up.  Still, you need a 'fast' camera and a
winder, so you can leave the thing relatively unattended.

All this, of course, is for daytime photography.  At night, you can still
put the camera on 'B' and wait!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Website at: www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr