Subject: [Leica] Photo reality
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:35:49 EDT

<< It's what we know

about photography that makes it a document of reality.>>

I'll agree if you turn the statement around.

It's what we know about reality that makes a photography compelling.

In some cases the image is striking but the photograph is technically poor,
i.e. the burning of the Hindenburg. In some cases, the implications are
significant, even though the photo does't depict reality at all, i.e. Rosenthal's
raising of the flag at Iwo Jima. The image is an abstract that triggers off a
whole series of associations that provide the meaning. It's not the photo - it's
in your head.

Larry Z