Subject: Re: [Leica] squabbling over digitial vs. film
From: "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 00:07:37 +0200

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 10:14 PM

> > From my personal experience, there is a different look to digital versus
> > film.  Film to me has what I call a more historic gritty look to it due
> > the grain no matter how fine grained and digital has an ultra clean
look,
> > which is different in subtle manners, depending upon the chip-camera
maker
> > and or Photoshop operator.
>
> a little culturally biased - in the case the culture (cult?) of the
> miniature camera.
>
> I seem to shoot much more 8x10 than 35mm these days and with 100iso Astia,
> there really is no visible grain until you get to very, very big
> enlargements (same with FP4) - it is, among many other things, one of the
> reasons for shooting 8x10 - that "ultra clean look". I'd be pretty pissed
> off if I went to all that trouble and my photographs had a "historic
gritty
> look".
>
> It's also why I've seen photographs that John Brownlow took which were
> digital, that I thought he had done on his 4x5 (I'm not talking big
prints,
> just the "look" - what you refer to as the "ultra clean look").
>
> But if you want the "historic gritty look" (Holga?) with digital, go to
> http://www.640x480.net/  ....
>

> tim
I think the digital will allways have a cleaner look because of the
artificial edge sharpness it can produce.In reallity a straight line exists
only as a theorethical construct the higher the quality of the film the more
fuzziness it would show on the edges of objects where as in digital the
outline would be more like a line on a graph.
Thats were you recognise digital and that is what gets boring quickly .All
those clean outlines that look like cutouts.
Large format shows more surface detail .Better micro contrast is that a way
to describe it?
simon