Subject: Re: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - handled a D100 (and a10D, and...)
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:39:47 -0500

mark@rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)8/5/03

>George you're saying in effect a digital image is not a photographic
>image because you don't get that warm fuzzy feeling from it.

I donıt intend to say what you say I say. I fully embrace the digital world. I use the technology. Iıve rented the highest end digital backs for jobs. I owned a Leaf Lumina early on. Iım trying to stay current and afloat in this economy. My point is not trying to hold on to the old or stay warm and fuzzy.

I simply experienced some profound aesthetic reality checks when putting this recent exhibit of 12x20 and 13x19 prints together. Others have mentioned that Œplasticı look - I found that look - I donıt detest it - I simply recognize it as very different from the traditional Œphotographicı look. I seee the same looks on the DVDs compared to VHS and project film. All I intended to discuss is the language which will allow us to communicate with each other and in my case print collectors.

>Light gets captured.
>It gets captured by slide film, neg film and photo papers. Tintypes and
>Daguerreotypes. The sidewalk.
>It also gets captured by photographic cells in a camera. Or scanner. I
>can live with it. What the heck's the big deal?

No big deal - however, these are visual media - and I think it worthwhile to discuss how these various forms of grabbing and printing.

If we were to discuss the broader subject of print making would we not differentiate between, serigraphy, etchings, engravings, stone lithographs, metal plate lithographs and etc.?

If we were draftsmen discussing drawing - weıd have interest in the media - graphite, charcoal, conte, pastel - thatıs all Iım talking about. Media and language. I look forward to my 10d and I look forward to the digital R offering - I love my Digilux1 - and 13x19 prints from it - which 99.9% of viewers donıt know came from digital captures.

Iım not looking to defend film against digital capture - simply wanting to have the deepest understanding of the aesthetics within the various states of the art.

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist

<€>Peace<€>   <€>Harmony<€>  <€>Stewardship<€>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web	                          <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092