Subject: Re: [Leica] Is It "analog" or Is It Digital? Drifting OT a LOT
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:46:54 -0400

I have a bunch of digital instruments... the Emagic EXB3 Hammond, EPV88
electric piano, plus a Line6 Pod guitar amp emulator. They are all of
them useful, but they are none of them at all like the real thing in an
A/B test. For example, an A/B of my Jazzmaster through the Line6 Fender
Twin Reverb emulation compared with my real vintage Fender Twin is
staggeringly different. The tonality is clearly similar but the amp is
infinitely more live-sounding and playable.

Ditto the Hammond and the EVP88 -- both capable of a wide variety of
useful recordable tones, but with only a fraction of the texture,
tonality and playability of the originals. They are all great tools,
but only convincing when you haven't played the real thing. I've also
played the Native Instrument B4 Hammond emulation, with the same
result. I think the same thing is true with the analog synth
simulations.