Subject: Re: [Leica] Intro& looking for V35
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:24:10 +0200 (MEST)

> But please don't hesitate if you do see more V35, I will definitely
> check them out.
>
> THanks, and enjoy your V35 (lucky you)!

I wouldn't make such a big deal out of the V35. I have one and it's
alright, but I usually use the under the lens filters anyway. The
multigrade kit I have (the original one) isn't very good. I don't get
anywhere near the range of contrast steps that I get by using the filters.

I have a Durst M601 that I use for medium format. I'm seriously
considering using it for 35mm too. The V35 is good, but don't pass up any
of the good Durst englargers that you might be able to get a hold of too.
But in my experience, they cost more since they can be used for more (35mm
up to 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9 depending on the model). The ones I've run into cost
more than twice as much as the V35 (all used). I paid $300 for my V35
about the time the newspapers were dumping them. The only people dumping
Durst (hobbyist) enlargers are hobbyists ... and they aren't all that
many, by comparison (just as many are selling as there are buying).

Don't forget the stereo. That's the essential part of the darkroom. Mine
is in a bombshelter disguised as a garage. You can park three (now two)
station wagons end-to-end. I put a wall up in the back third of the
garage. With 1 foot of solit concrete all around me I can blast away (and
it keeps a constant temperature all year round).

Daniel