Subject: [Leica] Problem with Cannon Scanner
From: Herbert Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:13:08 -0700

Possibly some computer nerd in the LUG can help.  My CanoScan N676U
has suddenly developed a mildly annoying malfunction.  When I press
the software "scan" button, a panel comes up announcing that the USB
cable is probably disconnected. A temporary cure is effected by
unplugging and re-plugging the cable at the scanner end; doing it at
the other (hub) end doesn't help.  This "cure" last for the next one
to three scans, after which the problem reappears.

Since the stupid thing only cost $100, it is not worth
repairing--it's just a simple flat-bed scanner more than good enough
for a) copying documents, and b) putting color prints up on the web.

I was considering the possibility of some kind of flakiness in the
USB cable and went to price replacements.  They ranged from $9 to
$19, depending on the brand, but they were all straightforward cables
with an "A" connector at one end and a "B" connecter at the other.
The cable that came with the scanner has a plastic cylinder at each
end of the cable, about two inches from the connectors, a cylinder
that is about 1 1/2 inches long and a bit under 1/2 inch in diameter.
Does anyone know what the heck these cylinders are and whether they
are of importance?

Herb
- --
Herbert Kanner