Subject: Re: [Leica] single malt-free prrof question
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 18:53:28 -0400

Hello again Simon:

the "proof" of a drinking alcohol is double the percent alcohol content by
volume. No drinking alcohol is 100% alcohol (yes yes I know, someone is
going to come up with a 200 proof rum!). So Bombay gin is 86 proof, meaning
43% alcohol by volume. Bombay Sapphire is 93 0r 94 proof or 47% alcohol.
Many if not most blended scotch whiskies sold in the U.S. are 80 proof or
40% alcohol by volume. Many if not most single malts sold here have a higher
than 40% alcohol content; one of the Balvenies is above 53% which would mean
106 proof.