Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica parts
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:22:43 -0400

Hello friends:

I spoke by telephone this past Wednesday with Roger Horn, President of Leica
USA (Northvale) to express the disappointment of LHSA members at the new
policy of declining to sell parts to independent Leica service providers. I
also stated to him that as a lawyer, while I was doubtful that U.S.
anti-trust law would support a legal claim against Leica, I thought that
there was a possibility that a claim might be sustained under a legal theory
called "promissory estoppel." But that I was not calling as a threatening
lawyer, rather as a Leica friend to point out the enormous loss of good-will
among Leica people that such a policy change had caused and would continue
to cause.

Roger told me that he would be in discussions with Solms yesterday
(Thursday) and would have something to say today.

I have just spoken with Roger again. He has informed me that Leica Northvale
is reinstituting its previous policy of selling Leica parts to independent
Leica service providers. One of the concerns that prompted the now-changed
policy was that some people in U.S. were ordering parts and selling overseas
in contravention of Solms' policy not to sell to independents. As a result,
Northvale will limit the sale of individual parts to a certain small numbe
to ensure that parts do not go overseas. Sounds very fair to me.

All's well that ends well.

Seth        LaK 9

Replies: Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica parts)
Reply from "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@charter.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica parts)