Subject: Re: [Leica] Off to Alaska, Digital characteristic curves
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:16:36 -0700

I find the Canon D60 does as well or better than slide film in high
contrast situations. I think it might be a person used to shooting
negative film experiencing the fact that digital resembles transparency
film more than negative film in terms of tonal range.

I have been shooting a lot of water polo in direct sun in Southern
California over the past five months. You would expect a problem if
this claim was true. But nothing could be further from the truth. I've
shot thousands of rolls of film outside in broad daylight on sports
assignments - slide film and negative film. And I had no problem at all
getting results every bit the match of film with a D60.

So no, it's not a problem in "the digital realm."

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 10:01  AM, Bob Haight wrote:

> Regarding the D100 not doing well in high contrast
> situations, isn't the lack of latitude a problem with
> most digital cameras. I don't hear much about it but
> it seems to be a problem as yet unsolved in the
> digital realm.
- --
Eric

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen, philosophers, and divines. - Ralph Waldo Emerson