Subject: Re: [Leica] techie number things (was arggghhh... )
From: "Mark Davison" <mark_e_davison@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:51:51 +0000

Peter Klein said in part:

>There are two basic approaches to technique in every art form.  One
>approach is the studious, "learn everything," "quantify everything"
>approach.  The person goes through a long (probably life-long) learning
>process.  They read about every technique, talk shop with everyone they
>can, try out stuff, consciously assimilate each bit of knowledge, test it,
>graph the results, decide to do this and not do that.  Eventually a lot of
>it becomes semi-automatic, but it's always just over the edge of
>consciousness, and often fully conscious.

Very well put.

I will just add that the practice of many sports at the top level has
benefited enormously from careful scientific studies of the biomechanics
involved, when this is reduced to specific training regimens. The link
between the techie stuff and practice is usually made through coaches, so
that individual athletes don't drown in the technical literature.

There is no question that practice makes perfect. The question is what to
practice and how.

Just going out and "shooting more pictures" if you don't know the first
thing about using your camera won't help you improve your photography.

The peculiar thing about photography (as opposed to sports, visual arts and
music) is that so many of us attempt to do it without any coaching at all.

Mark Davison