Subject: Re: [Leica] Re cropping dilema
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 06:34:59 -0700

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 01:08  AM, Feli di Giorgio wrote:

> QUESTION: Is it acceptable to tilt the image, unless the tilting
> alters the integrity of the event as it happened?

Yes, it is acceptable to tilt, because the reader of the photo will see
the tilt. As long as you DON"T fool the reader, you're okay.

> It is NOT acceptable under any circumstances to dodge/burn a photo
> intended for journalistic purposes.
> (In the darkroom or PS). If it's ugly, it's ugly. Too bad, better luck
> next time.
> I'm going to guess that you are allowed to eliminate dust spots or a
> hair etc?

No, that is not true. Burning and dodging are perfectly acceptable.
Why? Because film is not a perfect transcription of the reality of the
even anyway. So it could be argued that you must burn and dodge to make
the photo resemble the reality of the situation. And with judicious
technique it becomes invisible. The "Hand of God" burning technique
where you burn down the edges of the photo to make the subject "pop" is
at best bad taste and at worst shows lazy technique on the
photographer's part. (In my opinion). I'm talking about grossly
distorted tones, not slight edge burning that is hardly detectable with
close scrutiny.

> This one is a no-brainer, but here it goes anyway. It is absolutely
> NOT acceptable to manipulate a photo
> intended for journalistic purposes by adding or subtracting any
> content (people, building, anything etc)

Correct.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.
- - Will Rogers

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day. - Will Rogers.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Always drink upstream from the herd. - Will Rogers