Subject: [Leica] Crazing Explanation
From: rclompus@cox.net
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:19:16 -0400

Robert,

Crazing usually refers to the breakdown or failure of the anti-
reflective layer coating.  It can look like a series of hairline cracks
on the surface of a lens.  It is acutally the layer on top of the lens
put there to enhance light transmission.  This breakdown can
occur over time and can be accelerated with exposure to some
cleaning agents, extreme temperature shifts and general physical
abuse.  The newer antireflective coatings for camera lenses as
well as spectacle lenses can be 9 layers or more including a few
SiO2 (silica dioxide) layers - otherwise known as qaurtz to
enhance scratch resistance.  If the crazing covers enough of the
surface area of the front element, it will lower contrast of the image.
I have heard of technicians that can clean the surface and re-coat.
I have nevere seen such a lens after treatment but it is technically
possibel to do so if the lens suface is intact.  Perhaps someone on
the list knows the camera technician who polishes and re-coats
lens elements.

Richard Clompus, OD
Roanoke, VA

Replies: Reply from "Robert VanLane" <robert@actv.ne.jp> (Re: [Leica] Crazing Explanation)