Subject: Re: [Leica] Re cropping dilema
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:49:09 -0700

Feli offered his cropped pictures for all to see:

> http://www.clearsightusa.com/feli-crop.html
>
> The top frame is my cropped and tilted version. My question was if it was
unethical to dodge/fix the lower left corner. Joseph made a few crops and #7
seems to work the best, although it could maybe be cropped a little lower on
the bottom.

Hi Feli,
Let's get this part out of the way first.

>> I understand that it is completely unacceptable to manipulate a image
intended for journalistic purposes, but didn't understand if that included
something like this. I didn't study journalism, so I am not familiar with
the standards of the profession.<<<

When you are fiddling / cropping or any other manipulation of a photograph
for your own use do whatever with it that makes you feel good about what
you've done. As it makes no never mind what you do in home.

But what we photojournalists' balk at, are pictures manipulated and
presented for publication as the truth in which it was supposedly taken! And
that my friend is about as unethical as anyone can get.

Plain old darkroom stuff, burning in, dodging, cropping is done all the time
and been done since the beginning of time.  I mean in nearly every
discipline of photography some manipulation takes place, heck even scenics
have burned in clouds or fore-ground to enhance the scene and it's accepted.

But it's blatant computer PS changing the shot to be something else all
to-gether and that is the lowest from of manipulation and journalism ethics
of the worst kind. In your case you could do whatever makes your little ol'
heart happy..... because you are looking for better impact in your personal
picture. And not for use on the front page of the Daily Blat!

We printed out all the cropped photos and looked at them no differently than
a photo editor would. Besides it's much easier than looking at them on the
screen when you can't see them all at the same time.

> http://www.clearsightusa.com/feli-crop.html
>
> The top frame is my cropped and tilted version. My question was if it was
unethical to dodge/fix the lower left corner. Joseph made a few crops and #7
seems to work the best, although it could maybe be cropped a little lower on
the bottom.<<<<<

I see Sonny made almost the same cropping suggestion as I thought to myself
the second I looked at the first shot. It's the two guys and that's all
there is!

The bus is meaningless unless in the next second one or both guys were run
over! Too bad that didn't happen with you standing there then you'd have a
"great news photo!" And we'd not be going through this exercise about how to
crop a picture, that I feel you are reading far more into the "real-time
experience" compared to the actual captured image.

We all do that as news photographers, it goes with the emotional and
physical connection of being there and feeling the experience. When I first
read your words the bus was about to run over two fighting guys etc and
whatever other enhancing words describing the photo,  I was anxious to see
the real picture and what the problem was.

My feeling as Photo Editor would be crop the two guys tight and forget the
bus as it "don't mean nuthin'!" ;-) The main body of the photograph is the
action of these two clowns rousting each other over the demonstration signs
and a difference of opinion. And I'd sure as hell have hung tight with them
and banged off a bunch more frames as their body language changed.

And waiting for the one to win the battle. Or got run over, whichever came
first.

So my friend put the neg. in the enlarger or scanner and crop it tight
around the fighters and then  sleep tight to-night as that's the best part
of this whole negative.

ted