Subject: Re: [Leica] Re cropping dilema
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:08:15 -0500

Interesting points, George.  I am not a photojournalist, but I have made my
living that way.

In my opinion, the shot in question could have been made much stronger by
cropping tightly on the two men. The bus adds no drama at all especially
considering the bemused look on the driver's face.  Now if you were seeking
that as an element then cropping is still in order.

http://www.clearsightusa.com/feli-crop.html

  That would have solved several problems.  As far as "fixing" the corner,
for a shot of your own, I wouldn't see a problem with that.  What you as a
photog are trying to do is to show how it was to be there.  Again,
publication rules out fixing things, and that includes tilting the crop to
make it appear more harried.

Finally, what would have made the picture much stronger would have been for
you to walk a few steps closer and capture the struggle; then there would be
no moral issue here, unless you were drawn into the fight.  But that's
another can of worms.

Sonny