Subject: Re: [Leica] 2003 photos
From: tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:03:48 -0700

Hi!

       I'm going up to Reno for a day trip next week to try and
burn a lot of this APX100 (over 500 feet) film with a Canon IVSb
with Caono Rapid Winder and 12 Leitz metal cassettes.  Only
two lenses, a Canon 35/2 and Nikkor 50/1.4.  Also a Zorki I.

      Over the last few months I've tried to become familiar with
this Rapidwinder, my first of the breed.  I'll need more than
12 rolls of film, so a changing bag, the Leitz ABLON cutter
and Leitz spooler, will allow me to reload from bulk on the road.

       I'm trying to move in a natural direction as I've found I like
to photograph unusual cars I see on the street parked.  The
Nikkor 50/1.4 couples to the rangefinder only to 3 feet, but
does focus to 18 inches, but you must guess or measure with
a tape, which I understand the distance is measured from the
film plane of the camera.

      The last two 'test' Leitz cassettes are still in the cameras.
I want to be sure everything is working before the self
assignment starts.  I'm sure I won't burn through all 500 feet
of film as reloading is still not as smooth as I hope it will
be after some experience with this little trip.

      Of course, covering an event like this is nothing new.
When this winter is over and I've made the best prints,
I may never want to photograph another automobile again!

     I do all my own processing and printing.

     I'd appreciate any comments from other luggers who
have covered this major show in years past.  I hope to
use the Nikkor lens to get lots of closer-ups of details
of the metal.

     I've bought a 36" chrome chain type neck strap and
I've tried hooking the Canon IVSb to it, with both ends
(they have locking clips) to the left side of the Canon with
it's Rapidwinder.  I've ordered the HOOK, which would
allow the camera to quickly be made free from the neck chain,
but it will not arrive in time for the trip due to supplier's delays!
As often, I like to have the camera totally free to move it about.

      I'll post back again after the trip and report how much
film I've used.   This is a major step forward for my involvement
in 35mm  black and white photography. Just triying to follow
the sage's advice to burn more film.  HCB did.  Winograd did.
Robert Frank did.   So will I.

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California