Subject: [Leica] Are there any transparency films that are not over-saturated?
From: Marty Deveney <sealpup@sharkattacks.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:07:28 -0700 (PDT)

Short answer: YES.

Starting at the end:
>3. Actually I've always like the pastel look  of the old Ektachrome.
>Are there any transparency films that have that pastel color rendition?

Some old style Ektachromes are still made and although not widely available, can be got from B&H.  The colour rendition is very similar to the old Ektachrome.  I particularly like EPR (Ektachrome 64).  A little cool for some tastes, but superbly accurate and in shade, just use a skylight or warming filter.  B&H have cold-stored 100' rolls going for $60 at the moment.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?S54D22B65
Otherwise, regular USAW (explained at the B&H site) 135-36 rolls are $6
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U25D22B65

There is also EPP and EPN - both 100 speed, slightly more saturated and warmer than EPR.

Astia is okay too, but more saturated than the old Kodak EP series films.

>1. Are there any transparency films that render colors more naturally
>than these saturated films?

Kodachrome Professional (or aged consumer Kodachrome tested for colour accuracy) is still the most colour-accurate film in my testing.  Useful, for example when you make a photo of a histological specimen and listen to the pathologist say 'you need to make the photo differentiate this pink (pointer moves) from that pink (pointer moves to an almost identical, but slightly different, pink)'.  Gulp.

Digital is better - you can manipulate the colours until they _are_ different, but some would call that cheating.

>2. Or, does one have to go to color negative film to get a more
>natural, less-saturated look? If so which color negative films?

Neg film is wildly variable, depending on printing.  Unless you have a lab you trust, avoid it.

Marty