Subject: Re: [Leica] M5 Meter and Alkaline Batteries
From: Ken Firestone <kenf@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:13:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Gary Williams wrote:

   Alas I must take my newly aquired M5 on a trip and there is no time to get
   the meter calibrated for alkaline batteries.  (I will not use an M meter on
   it either).  What kind of exposure compensation should I expect to have to
   use?   Or is it more complicated than that?

I think it is a bit more complicated than that. I am assuming this
camera took the late, lamented mercury batteries. There are several
things you can do. First, a company named Wein makes a zinc/air
battery, that is the correct voltage. But after you activate them they
last only a few months. Or there is a company that makes an adapter
that fits in the camera, and adjusts the voltage of the silver
battery. Check the lug archives and google for both.

As for the zinc/air battery, I have seen them at Penn camera in the
Washington, DC area, and they could probably ship you one.