Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures from New York
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:51:20 -0400

Richard F. Man wrote:
> At 09:05 PM 7/27/2003 -0400, Simon Stevens wrote:
>
>> That one is my favorite too.  I just wish I knew who he was, and why
>> he was there.  He wasn't even making much money.  Most people hung
>> back -- I think because they were afraid of disturbing him.  Anyway,
>> thanks for the comments.
>

> Did he dance around a lot while playing? Did he "sing" in some sort of
> non-verbal thing?
>
> If so, he is probably Steven Kaufman / Thoth. An artist from this nect
> of the wood (SF)
>
>> Incidentally, one or two people have said they look dark.  They look
>> fine on my monitor but I use a Mac.  I have had problems before with
>> Mac scans looking too dark on PCs.  Didn't I read somewhere that the
>> gamma is different?
>

> Yes, PC gamma is typically 2.2 and Mac Gamma is typically 1.8 and PC
> pics tend to look darker because of that. Mac users need to either
> everyone to use Mac or adjusts their pictures to be brighter, and don't
> forget to convert to sRGB profile for web pics!!!

The Mac gamma at 1.8 thing is a relic of the past and was geared to the
old Apple monitors (remember the original Apple 14" monitor). We are
long past that era. There is no reason to use anything but 2.2 gamma,
IMHO, since for most monitors today that is either their native gamma or
at the very least, much closer to it than 1.8 is. The further you pull a
monitor away from its native gamma, the more you are compressing the
color gamut and limiting the output possibilities.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com has a lot of good info on this.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Replies: Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (Re: [Leica] Pictures from New York)