Subject: [Leica] Marc Small's statement that M6 is best built M camera
From: Mitch Alland <malland@xsmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:26:46 +0700

Going through the LUG archives I came across the following posting by
Marc Small:

> As to an M, the later the better.  The M6 is a better-built camera,
> for complex reasons, than the earlier models.  Not that the M3 is a
> bad camera, or the M2.  Here is my advice:
>
> M3:     Get a late DS.  The early ones and very late single-strokes
> are going way up in price due to collectors.  Have the DS changed to
> SS and the flash sockets changed to PC.  Neither change costs much.
>
> M2:     Same as M3.  I don't particularly care for the M2, but it is a
> hot item, and often costs more than an M3.
>
> M4:     Wow!  Avoid this turkey, despite the recent fall in prices.
> Everything is adjustable, so something is always out of adjustment.  I
> have owned several, and all were unsatisfactory.  This model has THE
> reputation but, in general, is less satisfactory as a user camera than
> the M3.
>
> M5:     Interesting, but too big.
>
> M4-2/M4-P:      Sleepers.  Great cameras, underpriced in the user
> market.  Grab one if you can find it at a decent price, as you should
> be able to.
>
> M6:     My choice.  Everything a user needs, no more, no less.  And
> the best-built Leica yet, with the M6TTL.
>
> M6TTL:  Interesting, but too big.

What are these complex reasons for which the M6 is a better-built
camera than earlier models? Usually people seem to feel that the M6 is
not built as well as the earlier models, particularly the M3.

- --Mitch/Bangkok

Replies: Reply from JCB <jcb@visualimpressions.com> ([Leica] Re: Marc Small's statement that M6 is best built M camera)
Reply from Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net> ([Leica] Re: Marc Small's statement that M6 is best built M camera)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net> (Re: [Leica] Marc Small's statement that M6 is best built M camera)