Subject: [Leica] Less Equipment...Getting Down to the Scrotal Elements
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:48:03 -0400

I do own a number of lenses each of which I use when the subject and
conditions demand them.  However...

I also have a standard kit which I use almost ninety percent of the
time.  A 0.72 M-6 classic, a "Skinny" Tele-Elmarit, and a spherical 35
Summicron.  It doesn't get much smaller and lighter than this unless you
carry just a thread mount body and collapsible fifty.  With the one body
and two lenses I do not need any bag at all; the un-mounted lens fits in
one pocket, perhaps a couple of films in another.  Rarely do I wish that
I had anything more on board and I do not feel that I am losing too many
photographic opportunities for my minimalism.

For me, this is the core of Leica photography.  Travel light and
minimize the decisions one must make to capture any fleeting moment.
Use fine lenses and understand their limits and capabilities.  Move the
photographer rather than change lenses.  Stick with one film...albeit
one film with enormous latitude...and know that film's characteristics
at the intuitive level.  Fiddle constantly with the shutter speed and
diaphragm ring as light conditions change so that you are always within
a stop or two of a decent exposure.  Take the damned picture and don't
obsess over your equipment.

	Buzz Hausner