Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica] Saving Leica-digital RF system?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:27:30 -0700

At 5:08 PM -0700 7/24/03, Peter Klein wrote:

<snip>

>>Ok, reality check.  We've all heard about how a digital M is not possible
>>with current sensors technology.  First of all, I am confident that one day
>>sensor technology will make a digital M possible.  And second, perhaps there
>>is a way to do an interesting product within the constraints of current
>>technology.
>
>Y'know, "everyone" says a digital M is impossible is because of the
>angle of the light from RF lenses being cut off by the sensor wells.
>The Foveon sensor represents one design direction that might make it
>possible some day.   Also--here's a radical thought--what about a
>curved sensor?  Since it doesn't have to wind, digital "film"
>doesn't necessarily have to be flat.  Is such a thing possible?
>Could it be done economically?  Could good lenses be designed for a
>curved sensor?  The ones in my eyes work reasonably well.

Then you would have a sensor that works with lenses that have a
particular (close to the sensor) location of the exit pupil, but not
those that have exit pupils far from the sensor, like long focus
lenses. The Foveon sensor actually has deeper "wells" than regular
RGBG sensors.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design