Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: "Chandos Michael Brown" <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:55:42 -0400

I just got off the phone with Leica, New Jersey.  I'd asked some months
ago about the availability of a replacement speed dial for one of my
M4-Ps.  Informed that it was available at a reasonable price, I quite
naturally procrastinated in purchasing it, thinking that I'd put
together a little order of miscellaneous stuff.

Moved by the recent discussion, I called today to order one.  Dave
Elwell, who strikes me as a stand-up guy, agreed to sell it to me,
because he'd said he would in our earlier email exchange.  While I had
him on the phone, I asked whether I could also purchase a few odds and
ends for my M3--a replacement for the lens release button, which has
grown worn, and a couple of trim rings which some previous had marred.
Dave hesitated, and then mentioned that I needed "special" tools to get
them off.  I told him that I owned the appropriate tools (I've pulled
the top-plates on nearly all my Ms to clean VF windows and the like.  I
do not mess with the shutters or otherwise perform maintenance on them).
He said that he could not sell me any of these parts.

Apparently Leica will now allow those of us who have used and purchased
these cameras for many years (over thirty in my case) to obtain PC
socket plugs, battery compartment covers, what they consider to be
"user" replaceable parts, no tools required.

I protested that the lens release button required nothing more than a
screwdriver to remove and replace; he offered to have the camera picked
up for free, whereupon Leica would determine the "problem," check the
camera, and provide an estimate for repair.  I responded that the camera
has recently undergone a CLA and that I was merely interested in
improving its cosmetic appearance, which hardly required a trip to NJ,
God alone knows how much time in the shop, and a labor charge for
something that I can accomplish in 30 minutes.

Doesn't matter--no parts.

I have been setting money aside for a new 35/1.4 asph.  So much for
this.  The fund's now going toward a Canon D1s or its equivalent, even
if it takes longer to accumulate it.  I'll continue to use the Ms in the
foreseeable future, but I will never buy another new Leica product
again, period.

CHandos

Chandos Michael Brown
History and American Studies