Subject: Re: [Leica] Hood for 50/2.8 Elmar?
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:47:16 -0700

robertmeier@usjet.net wrote:

> I'm getting a 50/2.8 Elmar, the original M mount chrome one.  It is not
> coming with a hood and I don't know what hood was made for it.   Also,
> how
> essential is it to use a hood with this lens?

The correct hood for this is a straight little tube with a spring clasp
mount that grips the outer surface of the lens barrel, ahead of the
aperture ring.  I think it's called the ITOOY.  In any case, they tend
to be collectors' items and pretty expensive... for what they are.  I
had one for mine which I sold with the lens.

The lens does fare better with the hood in place, but it is not
essential.  The Elmar that I had was pretty impervious to flare in any
case -- one of it's great features IMO.

You could probably fashion a suitable lens hood out of a number of
materials:

	a) stacked circular filter rings, with glass removed

	b) a cut-off bottle, painted black

	c) a cut-off, black-painted toilet roll

Each of these is probably going to be significantly cheaper than the
amount that an ITOOY.  You can probably also fit other lens hoods
designed for 50mm lenses, such as the ITDOO, IROOA, and 12585: I
beleive that the E39 mount 50/2.8 Elmar has a 42mm outer diameter.

M.