Subject: RE: [Leica] Focusing a 75 1.4 -- mitch's question
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:15:35 -0400

I am not certain that I fully understand Eric's comments since no Leica
lens focuses very much closer than three feet, the DR excepted.

That said, I must demure from our correspondent's observations.  Using a
rangefinder at three feet distance is merely a matter of experience.
Granted, the learning curve may stretch beyond...oh?...thirty years, but
one becomes used to adjusting to the inevitable parallax.  Even using
the 75 Summilux wide open the basic rational behind a rangefinder still
obtains at close range; it is quiet, nearly vibration-free, discrete,
and allows one to discern the action around the frame as the picture
forms up over time.  While Leica lenses focus not much closer than three
feet, I have no trouble focusing and framing with even the 75 or a 90 at
their minimum focus distance, circa 0.75 and 1.0 meters, respectively.

	Buzz Hausner