Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] OT: Frank Dernie back at Williams
From: Steve LeHuray <steve@streetphoto.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:26:36 -0400

> From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@streetphoto.net>
>
>> ....yeah, back in those days sportsman racers were the rule, even F1.
>>
>> sl
>
> Right Steve, rich sportsmen like Juan Manuel Fangio, the Argentine mechanic
> who started in racing with a beat-up Chevrolet over mountain passes,
> Stirling Moss, Karl Kling, Hermann Lang and John Fitch, all wealthy
> gentleman sports guys. ;-)  Of course, outside the Mercedes-Benz racing
> team, there were gentleman racers. But Alfred Neubauer and Rudolf Uhlenhaut
> were interested in winning and one drove for M-B only if one was a
> world-class racer. They did on occasion reserve a seat for a very good but
> not world-class driver for reasons of nationality, not wealth.
>
> Seth         365 GTC

Seth -- by "sportsman racers" I meant that the age of sponsorship had not
arrived yet the way it is now.

Here I am, #7, in my 'self' sponsored SCCA days:

http://www.streetphoto.net/images/im49.jpg

Here are my 'poor man's Ferraris':

http://www.streetphoto.net/images/im103.jpg

Aw, for the good old days!