Subject: Re: [Leica] Focussing Noctilux and 75 Summulix in low light
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:31:22 -0500

steve@streetphoto.net (Steve LeHuray)7/21/03

>George -- there was a lengthy thread on this calibrating lens to body a
>couple years ago. In particular calibrating the 50/1.1, 50/1.4 and
>75/1.4
>seems like a good idea for maximum results at maximum aperture. I am not
>so
>sure that being calibrated matters at medium apertures or for wide
>lenses.

Quite true. It is the close focusing wide open which has recently been disappointing me. Never a problem in the past. For a while I thought it was my old eyes playing tricks. So I set the ruler down at 45degrees and bolted the bodies to the studio stand and was shocked when I looked at the negs. At closest focus on the M6 classic the 75 and 50 luxes focused an inch behind the intention point. At closest focus on the M6 .58 TTL they focused an inch in front of the intention point. Likewise on the .58TTl the 35 lux asph focused almost an inch and a half in front of the the intention point and almost spot on with the M6 classic. So these first tests would indicate that everythings drifted off quite a bit all three lenses and two bodies - unreliable wide open - Iım sending the 28 along just to get it all back to factory specs. Thatıs the bad news. The good news, I quess, would be that these things are adjustable and able to be brought back to precision.

I have a feeling that these levels of precision will disappear in our new digital world. Maybe Iım wrong. When folks talk about missing focus in the AF cameras - where is the miss taking place? In the electronics? In the intention? In the precision of the electronic and mechanical interface? Where and how would one adjust?

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist

<€>Peace<€>   <€>Harmony<€>  <€>Stewardship<€>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web	                          <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092