Subject: RE: [Leica] Further digital exploration - now 4/3 system
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:28:54 -0400

Henning wrote:
> I have heard a number of explanations of this '4/3' thing, such as it
> being the size of the sensor via some calculations, but it appears to
> me to only apply to the ratio of the format. Does anyone know
> definitively?

Henning,

Have you checked these sites ?

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/digital/ccd/papersArticles/3-
4TypeImageSensors.pdf
specifies the size of the 4/3 sensor (17.8mm x 13.4mm).

http://www.four-thirds.com/pdf/FourThirdsSystem.pdf:
the 4/3 standard specifies the size of the image circle,
as well as the diameter of lens mount, length of
among other things.

For more on the Olympus E1 implementation, check out
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse1/, where thre's also
a blurb on a potential Kodak 4/3 sensor of 31 Megapixels.

- - Phong