Subject: RE: [Leica] R8 wanna-be owner questions and some rambling...
From: "Randy Jensen" <randy@jamzcheer.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:17:14 -0700

The ROM contacts also transfer f/stop info on variable f/stop lenses.  I
have the 28-70 ROM and when you zoom the display changes to reflect the
actual f/stop and not the 28mm version.  Did that make sense?

Also, as to the problems with early R8s, my chrome one started acting really
strange the other day.  I even asked the USA Leica president about it at the
Leica botique opening in Monterey.  He said to send it in and there'd be no
charge - but when I got home I decided to clean all the contacts on all my
cameras and it hasn't had a problem since.  There's 22 contacts between the
body/back and body/winder.

Overall I really love the R8.  It's fast, quiet (so easy to disengage the
winder during a wedding reception), the viewfinder is bright, etc.  I also
have a R6, but it's the R8's I grab first.

And now it appears that the R8/R9 will not be obsolete in the next couple
years as digital "takes over."

BTW, it took over 20 years for digital recording (audio) to really take over
analog, and there are still lots of musicians who prefer Dolby SR and big
tape.  I forsee the same thing with photography.  They will both have their
place for artists.

There also seems to be a big change back-over to film in wedding
photography.  Guess the photographers don't like that half-stop latitide.
Portra is EXTREMELY forgiving.

My $0.02.
Randy
www.randyjensenphoto.com