Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 vs the M4, and filter factors
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:52:52 -0700

Jack McLain wrote:

> Yes, I know that; I am quite familiar with the process (as I stated in
> the
> subsequent line of my post which you snipped).  What I was driving at -
> perhaps not too clearly - is the fact that I thought it is curious that
> there has been no mention, that I have seen, in either the responses
> to my
> query in this list, or in the mess of Leica web sites, of the
> advantage (if
> any) of being able to utilize filters without calculating (which can
> take
> only seconds, but seconds that might make a difference).

 From which we can draw the conclusion that it isn't that much of an
advantage.  Hence no mention.  Which was my point.

The reason for this is the way that most people use manual
rangefinders: You premeter exposure and set the camera accordingly.
Often people will also prefocus (or zone focus -- not the same as
setting the lens to hyperfocal distance).  Thus, the camera is already
set up and ready for when the photo appears in front of you.

Using manual rangefinders involves a different working technique to
using an F4 or G2.  On the latter cameras, all the calculations take
place when you press the shutter button.  With a manual rangefinder,
the calculations are done ahead of time so that, when you press the
shutter button, all you are doing is releasing the shutter.  It doesn't
matter if it takes 1 or 20 seconds to work out the filter factors when
you shift the workload.

Advertising hype would have you believe that you need fast autofocus
and 'intelligent' RGB matrix-metering to get any shot in a fast moving
world.  They conveniently disregard the fact that 'decisive moment'
photography was regularly practiced by master photographers using the
(even slower) LTM generation of cameras.

The reality is that autofocus (no matter how fast) and metering (no
matter how 'intelligent') take time and make assumptions.  Thus you not
only risk loosing the shot, but also getting it incorrectly exposed.  A
manual rangefinder places control in your hands, under your brain, and
is thus in many cases faster.

Half the fun of using a manual rangefinder is that you learn to think
different.  The assumptions of using modern, auto-focus, auto-exposure
cameras do not necessarily apply.

M.

Replies: Reply from "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] M6 vs the M4, and filter factors)