Subject: Re: [Leica] was @#$@#$#@ foreigners..FU to all who agree with this crap
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:04:18 -0600

Hi Jean-Michel,

Jean-Michel Tomaschett wrote:

>What is a "real" mechanical watch?
>Do you think the majority of them are "really" hand-made?

A watch with a manual movement. For example I have a couple of IWC
watches that predate the 1950's and these watches must be wound once a
day when worn to keep time.

>A batteryless wristwatch made in Switzerland does not automatically mean it
>is handmade.

It depends on the maker. Certainly all components are hand assembled and
many makers do in fact hand make most of their components in-house.

>Most of the Swiss watch companies are not independent.
>Please excuse my English, I live in watch-country.

The advent of the quartz movement in the late 1960's (was Swiss designed
and developed) and Japan's outstanding ability to exploit this technical
advancement put many old Swiss family owned wrist watch makers out of
business in a very, very short period of time. The revitalization of the
fine Swiss Watch only came about in the late 1980's. Many Swiss based
watchmakers are foreign owned today. Many old brands have been reborn.

BTW, you're English is fine.

Regards,

Greg