Subject: RE: [Leica] Bulk loading (long!)
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:30:37 -0400

Jerry,

> Then please tell me what is cheaper, PER PHOTO?

Among other things, the answer depends on how much you
spend on film per roll, and how many frames you think
your equipment will take over the course of its lifetime.

For the amateur, the major costs are film and equipment.
I usually budget $20 for film per roll of 36
for film and processing, for about 55 cents a photo.
Even at $12/roll, it's 33 cents a photo.

Assuming my (Leica, arguably the most expensive in 35mm) equipment
cost is $8K, (perhaps 1 body and 3 lenses plus accessories,
plus CLA), and it lasts 150,000 frames, the equipment costs
less than 6 cents per photo.  This assumes the equipment has no
residual value after 150,000 frames; otherwise the
equipment cost per frame is even lower.  I pick 150,000
because I vaguely remember that's the rating for the
Nikon F shutter curtain.

You can push the various parameters one way or another
pretty far and film cost still remains more expensive.
Is my argument reasonable ?  Did I do my math correctly ?

What are your calculations that lead you to say that
film is the cheapest cost per photo ?

- - Phong