Subject: Re: [Leica] digital glass
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:20:51 -0700

on 07/16/03 10:40 AM, Adam Bridge at abridge@mac.com wrote:

> Of course all glass is "digital" since light is particles and hence either on
> or
> off, there or not there. Only in the agregate can we talk about wave
> properties
> of light, a good 2nd approximation of an unlikely real world.

Adam,

Light is both particles AND waves at the same time, since they only decide
where the the particles are at any given time when they are observed and
thus forced to reveal themselves. No particle of light has ever been used by
itself in a photograph, so waves are absolutely necessary in the description
of what we use. Aggregate is all we have (can see).

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"There exists a limit to the force even the most powerful may apply without
destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of
government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of
vengeance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has
created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences."
  --  Frank Herbert