Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:44:31 -0700

on 07/11/03 9:40 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabinergroup.com wrote:

> I've never heard Canons macro system being better than Nikon! I never
> head of Canon's macro reputation at all!

Well, this IS OT for the LUG, but their 65mm 1-5x macro is without peer.
It's simply amazing. Their 100 is flawless. I'll grant the Macro Zoom by
Nikon is cool, but really useful? Hmmm...for some nature photographers I'm
sure.

Looks like Nikon's catching up pretty good. Once they catch up with what
Canon has been doing for years, they get it pretty right. ;-)

To bring it back on topic, Leica has a pretty nice Macro system too. And
superior optics to boot in the 100 range. Why is it people don't find that
compelling enough to get the 100 Apo Macro and an R body? That alone would
justify picking up an R6 I would think. It's not like Autofocus has any
value in macro work. It doesn't. Period.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Ernest Hemingway's writing reminds me of the farting of an old horse.
- - E.B. White

Replies: Reply from "Jon" <jon.stanton@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons)