Subject: RE: [Leica] Weird One Found on Leica Photo Net
From: "Chandos Michael Brown" <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:40:56 -0400

Years ago I read a late-18th century poem in a unique copy held by the
Houghton Rare Book Library in Cambridge, Mass.  The eighteenth-century
convention was to do exactly as you do and to substitute asterisks for
letter in scatological terms and often in names (to avoid charges of
slander, perhaps?), so that "shit" become "s**t" and Lord Bute, Lord
B**e, and so on.

In the event, I found in reading "Mineral Water, a Poem" that someone
had, in a contemporary hand, filled in all the asterisks; "s**t" became
"shit" again, and "c**p" "crap."  You get the picture.

I like to think that this was the work of some bored sixteen-year-old
Harvard student, idling away an afternoon in, say, 1799 or so, restoring
the English language to its proper muscular self and deriving an
exquisite, guilty pleasure from the act.

Chandos

iginal Message-----