Subject: Re: [Leica] Details about Salgado in Chicago
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:35:24 -0700

on 07/10/03 12:08 PM, bdcolen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> What, I wonder - having seen all of Salgado's books and being a great
> admirer of his work - are the "profound implications of a world in
> transition" that the average viewer takes away from the photos?

Besides the rich getting richer while the poor are getting poorer?

That people of little means still have dignity and worth. That they're not
just statistics. I could go on...

Eric Welch Carlsbad, CA http://www.jphotog.com

The Arnaud Amaury, the Papal Legate and Abbot of Citeaux, directed the seige
of Beziers in July of 1209 as part of the Albigentsian Crusade. The Catholic
Bishop of Beziers had refused a demand to give up the Cathar heretics within
the town. Thereupon the crusaders' general, Simon de Montfort, took the town
and asked Amaury how to distinguish between the heretics and the faithful,
the Lord will know his own." De Montfort then killed every living being in
Beziers -- some reports say 60,000 souls -- before burning the city and
reducing it to rubble.