Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Ireland suggestions
From: Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:28:39 -0400

Eric,

Your friend sounds mistaken.  If he has a reference to support his
statement I'd love to read it.  Everything I've read suggests that cooking
does not kill all prions that cause BSE.

Even the normal method of autoclaving (steaming at 132C at elevated
pressure for an hour) does not fully deactivate prions (including those
responsible for BSE), which is why there are special procedures for
cleaning surgical instruments that may have come into contact with such
tissue.

There are plenty of published studies on this, some of which are referred
to in:
http://www.canadian-health-network.ca/faq-faq/healthy_eating-alimentation_saine/24e.html

and
http://www.usaha.org/speeches/speech01/s01taylo.html

Our protection comes from the agricultural surveillance systems and the
rarity of the disease, not the amount of (over)cooking.

- -Aaron