Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:48:01 -0700

Joseph Yao wrote:

> on 9/7/03 8:19 pm, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabinergroup.com wrote:
>
> > Nikons are very Leicalike.
>
> Hmmm..... I beg to differ.  Optically I think Canon are more Leica-like,
> especially the FD lenses.  For example the FD 50/1.4 S.S.C. was very close
> to the Summilux 50/1.4 in terms of their optical character.
>
> Come to think of it, thirty years ago I got into Canon FD because their
> lenses gave the same look as Leitz lenses.  I took up photography with a
> Leica IIIc + Summitar 50/2.0.
>
> With camera bodies, I would say the original Canon F1 was similar to the
> Leicaflex SL.  They handled and felt similarly in my hands.  Both were built
> like tanks.
>
> Historically, early Canon LTM bodies were modelled on the Barnack LTM
> cameras, and Nikon RF bodies were based on Zeiss Ikon Contax bodies.
>
> Thirty years on I find myself still using Leica and Canon: M and EOS.
>
> Bests,
>
> Joseph

Recently i read that in 1935 the first rangefinder camera out of Japan
was a Canon (what was soon to be Canon).
The camera had a Nikon lens on it!!

When i think of Leica i think of simplicity and quality. A camera with
an eyepiece with a laser beam in it following your eyeball around so it
knows what you are looking at kind of gives me the creeps!!
Canon EOS's remind me of alien spaceships. (Which means not the ones
from earth) :)

The First Nikon F was sure like a Contarex as I had the latter and
constant access to the former.
Not real ergonomic unless you are an early Terminator model.
Except instead of 12 micro-screws in a circle the F used one in the middle.
The basic lens formulas I'm sure all came from Zeiss. Most of them at
least. Has Leica come up with a "classic" lens formula?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.c