Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ireland suggestions
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:19:59 -0600

> I would certainly think that expecting the Irish to know
> rare from medium rare from well done would be a modest
> proposal.

Actually, eggs are a better example - if you order breakfast at your average
hotel or Transport Cafe across the Atlantic, unless they are used to
Americans, if you ask for your eggs "over easy" or "sunny side up", you'll
either get a blank stare or whatever the chef feels like giving you. The
language is different -  they still know how to cook eggs - just just have
to use the right words. Now, last time I was back in the UK, staying at a
lovely bed and breakfast, the couple at the next table, whose nation shall
remain anonymous, tried the over easy route and got a blank look from the
young waitress. They then repeated it two or three times, getting louder
each time. Now that doesn't usually work...  as I say, when in Rome (or at
least a city built by the Romans).

Now that B&B had a wonderful bathroom with a view from the throne over the
whole city of Bath - which I took a picture of with my M6 :-)

tim