Subject: RE: [Leica] Perhaps more reason to avoid ebay
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:06:49 -0400

What I find most amusing is that the some of the more obviously politically conservative members of this group - whom one would expect to be outraged - are the ones who throw up their hands and say, 'well, what do you expect' in regard to the misuse of what is supposed to be private information.

As to those who suggest that all hope was lost - in terms of privacy - 50 or even 85 years ago - I know that as recently as 30 years ago many major institutions - banks, phone companies, etc. - wouldn't produce spit without first receiving a valid subpoena. Were there exceptions and violations? Sure - Jedgar Hoover and his boys certainly ran roughshod over every type of civil liberty. But as a rule, there was still general respect for the sanctity of certain personal information. What some of us are bemoaning really is a relatively new phenomenon, and it has gotten markedly worse since 9/11.

B. D.