Subject: Re: [Leica] Ireland Suggestions?
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:54:25 EDT

In a message dated 7/6/03 8:43:36 PM, jplaurel@nwlink.com writes:

<< I am heading to Ireland next month and wonder if any of you have
suggestions

as to especially good places to photograph.  This is part of a driving

trip...we start Woking, just south of London, then head up to Sunderland and

Carlisle to visit friends, then up into Scotland for some green-laning.

Then, we ferry over to Ireland.  We're with local friends every place except

Ireland.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks - Jim Laurel >>

Jim

Dont know if folks mentioned it but the Aran islands, co Galway are amazing.
Cill Ronain on Inishmore (Arainn) the largest island is the main town, but
there are places to find as you go into the island itself.  The whole place is
one large archeology site, amazing to behold as the low lying clouds and fog
sweep over the the rocky landscape.  Personal faves: Dun Aonghasa, the massive
reminents of a prehistoric cashel dating from 1st century bc which overlooks a
300 ft cliff (just be careful of wind gusts along the edge!!!!),  there are
holy wells all over the island, just ask some island folk where they are, Cnocan
na MBan--not much to see but according to one of the locals there this is
where the O'Briens (one of the orignal clans on the island) had battle and nearly
killed each other off.  The women watched the battle from the hill on the
site.  The battlefied or burial ground is up from the knoll and is called
Territory of the Heads...for obvious reasons.  I got lost on the Inishmore, and
stopped at someplace that I thought served tea.  It was actually some ladies home
(who wasn't in business) but the woman invited me in anyways and 4 hours, lots
of tea later, I left and her son personally escorted me to a not very well
known cave and then to Dun Aonghasa.

And speaking of caves, I really liked Dunmore cave just up the road of
Kilkenny.  Some MASSIVE formations and rich in history (a large archeological find
of victims of a Viking raid), there is a HUGE stalagmite and in some places
(upper caves) there are fossilized bat skeletons.  TRES GOTH!

If you will be around in August, check out the Connemera Pony show in
...Clifdon(sp?) --co. Galway.   Totally great.

I was there a LONG time ago when I was going to school.  I'm sure alot has
changed.  There are probably golf courses built on top of half of all the open
land I recall, McDonalds on the rest.  But hopefully these outoftheway places
still exist unfettered.

- -kim