Subject: [Leica] July 4: invisible bush protesters and kids playing in fountains
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:31:22 -0400

So ... As many of you heard, the philadelphia constitution museum (which it
costs $6 to get into) tried to kill sandra day o'conner, ed rendell, john
street, and a host of other visiting dignitaries by dropping a 600 pound
wood frame on them while they were sitting on stage. I wasn't there to get a
photo. I did go down to the liberty bell, which you now can't get a hundred
yards from (thank you osama bin laden and tom ridge), ugly temporary
barriers, a ugly temporary building through which one must pass and be
searched (ironic?) and a bunch of security guards who look like civil war
generals. After looking at that setup I said "screw this" (not too loudly
though in case anybody was listening) and went off looking for the anti-bush
protesters I heard were going to be around. I found them about 7 blocks
away, weaving their way though philly. I snapped a few photos and uploaded
them to IMC. Later I discovered that the size of the protest had caused the
president to change his mind about coming to philly and he went to a
military base in dayton instead.

Some photos:

http://www.phillyimc.org/gallery.pl?sid=03/07/04/1751242&mid=03-07-04-175223
2

On the route of the march was a fountian, and as I passed it, I noticed it
was full of kids. And surrounding the kids, twice as many photographers
snapping like crazy. I assumed most of them were pro's since they were using
big ass digitals nobody was dragging them down and locking them up. I was
more interested in getting shots of the Black Bloc cooling off myself, who
might really have kicked my ass for photographing them (which brings to
question: do you wear black to a protest? Will the anarchists trust you?
Will the cops not?)....

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/temp/kids1.jpg
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/temp/kids2.jpg

Later in the day, someone sent me a URL from underreported.com, the media
watchdog site. Interestingly enough, the initial AP wire story that went out
included the line: "Many held signs protesting the Bush administration's
foreign policy." which was subsequently removed from the story, leaving the
line "hundreds of protesters, including abortion foes and peace activists"
Underreported used one of my photos from IMC to illustrate. I was happy.

http://www.underreported.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&s
id=1056

Kc