Subject: Re: [Leica] And I thought I was doing so well on eBay
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:06:17 -0700

Martin Howard wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > I'm very abhorrent of ebay ebayisems and ebayograms. Luckily the powers
> > that be on this list at least partially agree.
> > Hence the rule.
>
> The "rule" is that you should not post messages to the LUG with a link
> to stuff that you have for sale on eBay -- the reasoning being that we
> all know where eBay is and if we're interested in paying (what often
> end up as) inflated prices for equipment, we're capable of doing this
> without "help" from those who are selling.
>
> Steve's situation is VASTLY different.  He has already sold his item.
> He did not provide a link.  He is experiencing problems with the guy
> who has the winning bid and he is (indirectly) asking advice on how he
> should proceed in this matter.  Not only that, but he has the word
> "eBay" in the subject line, making it easily avoidable should you find
> it too loathsome.
>
> M.

Again i have sympathy for Steve but I'd rather have it the other way around.
Subject us to you're buying selling just leave out the bitching and
moaning later.
Or even getting us caught up on the excitement in the middle which is
common on other lists.
"fifteen minutes left to go folks for the bidding on the platinim lens
cap for the summar!...
I guess that would be legal just as long as they left out the url!

When anyone asks me why i don't do or like ebay i always say "what if i
send my camera to Iceland and the guy decides to not send me the money?
That's what i always say and that's what i feel. I'm glad every one is
doing so much buying and selling on a world wide level but what's bound
to happen?
I would think on the "Leica collectors group" or the "Leica traders
group" (which is high speed collecting) there would barely be a post
with out ebay references on it.
Me personally I'm glad we almost never hear the word mentioned on his
list and i hope that habit or rule or combination of the both does not
get lost in shipping. And has it's Play Pal renewed.

By the way I don't know if they got it from us or not but other lists
are on this "auction list which must not be spoken" kick.
The word is not mentioned as is the discussion of it.

The absence of Ebay discussion on this list is deafening.
Would the archives reveal the word pops up briefly on a tengent every
six weeks?
My first thought on seeing "ebay" in a heading was "who is this newcomer
to the list who's been on the list for less than five seconds? (sorry Steve!:)
Becomes luggers don't bring up ebay discussions of any kind to the list.
That's just the way it is. Coincidently I'm all for this behavior.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com