Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:10:08 +1000

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 11:04  AM, Eric Welch wrote:

> The FBI's profile for pedophiles is (I kid you not) a single white
> male in
> his mid-30s who likes to play with cameras. (There's more detail, such
> as
> unable to develop mature relationships with women, but that's a good
> part of
> it.) I was a psychiatric social work intern at a mental hospital which
> specialized in treating pedophiles.

> and
>

> Until I was married, that profile stayed in my head, and made me a bit
> nervous when I was starting out in photojournalism (when I was 30).

Reminds me of when I started out with my soccer photography.  I was 35,
male, no kids, and not married (only girlfriended).  In seeking
agreement from the President of the local club to take their photos
next season, I showed some samples I'd taken on a recent Sunday.  Only
teenage girls' teams played on Sundays. What with the club being a
Police/Citizens Youth Club this President was also the Sergeant at the
local police station.  He asked dryly, "So do you take pictures of boys
as well?".

I quickly got some pictures of boy players into the album and then got
the girlfriend pregnant.  There's something about having a seven months
pregnant 'missus' as your photography assistant that adds authenticity
when photographing kids.  Having little kids in tow, as I do now, is
even better.

So George, you know what to do. :-)

Rick.