Subject: RE: [Leica] Nikon LTM lens question
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:46:22 -0700

At 07:30 PM 7/1/03 -0700, Michael E. Berube queried about:
>  have a chance to buy a Nikkor -S.C 1:1.5  f=5cm lens in LTM mount.
Michael:  I used to own the 50/1.4 Nikkor, which was the updated version of
the 1.5.  They are Zeiss Sonnar clones, tweaked a bit to be optimized for
closer, wide aperture shooting.  You can find an informative article on
Dante Stella's web site.  I can't speak to the collector value of the
f/1.5, but it was only made for a year or so before it was replaced by the
f/1.4, so it is rarer than the f/1.4 and will be worth more.  For
reference, I sold my 50/1.4 for not quite $300.00.

I believe you used to own a Jupiter 50/1.5, which is basically a copy of
the 50/1.5 Sonnar.  The Nikkor is similar, but it will focus correctly
close-up, which many Jupiter's don't.

I sold the Nikkor when I bought a CV 50/1.5 Nokton.  The modern Nokton is
sharper and contrastier, especially wide open.  But the Nikkor has a retro
look that can be very pleasing.  Along with the ni-sen (double line) bokeh
that some people can't stand, and others could care less about.

Closed down a bit, the Nikkor looks fine, but very close scrutiny will
reveal some corner and far field softness even at optimum apertures.  This
may or may not matter, depending on what you photograph.

Here's a couple of shots with the 50/1.4 Nikkor, wide open (they've been
posted here before, but not recently):

http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/claire_surreal.htm
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/charlie_xmas.htm
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/paula_harpo.htm

If you like the Sonnar qualities and the 50/1.5 turns out to be too steep,
scout the usual sources for a 50/1.5.  But you might also pick up a used CV
Nokton for a similar price as the Nikkor.  It's a larger lens, with
sometimes harsh bokeh and the look of a modern aspheric, but has much to
recommend it.  Wide-open, it's a winner:

http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/13henning.htm
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/30ted.htm
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/36rabiner.htm  (f/1.8)

If you're more interested in shooting at medium apertures, why not dig just
a little deeper and spring for a 50 Summicron?  One from the 1980s can
often be had for around $450, and they are every bit as good as the one
that was made yesterday.  If you don't need f/1.5, the Summicron is a 50
you could be satisfied with for the rest of your life.  If I had to sell
everything but one body and one lens, the 50 'cron is the lens I'd keep.

Here's the 50 'cron, wide open:

http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/mischa_emphatic.htm
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/yulia_skeptical.htm

Hope this is helpful,