Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:04:57 -0700

on 07/01/03 4:59 PM, Steve LeHuray at steve@streetphoto.net wrote:

> Boy 'O boy, are you out of touch and uninformed. Think pedophiles, child
> pornography, child kidnapping, child slavery, etc, etc. Think scared
> PARENTS

The FBI's profile for pedophiles is (I kid you not) a single white male in
his mid-30s who likes to play with cameras. (There's more detail, such as
unable to develop mature relationships with women, but that's a good part of
it.) I was a psychiatric social work intern at a mental hospital which
specialized in treating pedophiles.

Mary Ellen Mark shot "Ward 81" there, and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
was filmed there before she was there. I was there in-between those two
events.

Until I was married, that profile stayed in my head, and made me a bit
nervous when I was starting out in photojournalism (when I was 30).

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Contrary to many peoples' beliefs, a rangefinder camera (of whatever
vintage), is not the invisibility ring from The Hobbit. - Dante Stella

Replies: Reply from frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003)