Subject: Re: [Leica] OT tap water temperature in Chicago area
From: "Phil Leeson" <pjleeson@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:16:38 -0500

Hello,
In Dubuque, IA ( 175 mi west of Chicago)  the water temp is 56 degrees F
today at my tap.
If you let the water run long enough around here, this temp is pretty
constant other than in the dead of winter.
Water mains generally are 4 ft underground and ground temp is about 55,
thus the feasibility of geothermal heating and cooling.  Now, if those
above ground pipes are really long, I suppose the temp could rise
considerably.  As an aside, in Northern Minnesota this year, lack of
snow and record lows caused septic tanks and water pipes way under
ground to freeze - 10 ft of frost in some areas.
Phil