Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica IIIc
From: "Richard Coutant" <rhc3vt@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:48:27 -0400

Greetings to all - this is my first post on this list, though I've been on
the ZICG, IDCC, and RUG lists for a while.  The IIIc was my first Leica as
wel, not so long ago.  And for me, like many others, it was the first step
up the long and scenic road of Leica collecting and use, although I'm not
really a 'proper' collector.  I still love and use the LTM cameras including
a Leica I that I found in a yard sale.  I also have a II, a IIIa, an M2, an
M4-2, and a CL.  Lately my most regular user has been the M4-2 with the
40mm/f2 lens from the CL.  Part of the reason for this is that my CL was in
a case that was dropped, and now the meter is very erratic and comes on and
off intermittently, and the rangefinder image is WAY off vertically, and
seems to float up and down as I try to focus the camera.  I had the camera
sent to Leica and the repair estimate was $600 - obviously more than the
body cost me to begin with.  So - I'm looking for advice about who might be
able to repair this for less than the factory will charge.  Any suggestions?
  I'm also currently using the M2 with a fairly early Jupiter-12 3.5cm, and
the IIIc with a 90mm Elmar and auxiliary finder.  I don't find it so much of
a pain to load film in the early cameras- and I've never trimmed a leader; I
just remove the lens and make sure the film is all the way in, and straight.
  I might not want to do this while I was running, or in a rainstorm, but
that's not the kind of use I give these old cameras.  On my kitchen table,
it's a snap.  I also just shot a roll with the IIIc and a CZJ 2/5 Sonnar
with pretty bad coating scratches, and the atmosphere in the b&w portraits
is just phenomenal.  I'm running a pretty primitive computer setup, so I
don't think I can share these, but I'm working on that issue.

                                        I'm glad to be able to share the
collective wisdom.  Thanks.

                   Richard